Afni abtained information frm Verizon NY regarding unsettled accounts from '93-94. Although the statue of limitations has expired, Afni is seeking to collect on these old accounts. I never lived or recieved mail at the address they have associated with the account they are trying to get me to pay (which is what tipped me off that this might be a scam).
When I called Afni "Brenda", the customer service rep with who I spoke was indignant and rude. So was her supervisor "Rachel," who had the audacity to question ME and the legitimacy of my concern.
After doing some research on collection laws and statutes of limitation I learned that it is not illegal for Afni to send out letters to whomever they like, what is illegal is for them to sue you, demand collection, and report you to credit reporting agencies for non-payment.
In other words, before sending any money to this company, be sure the claim is legitimate (they should provide you with documentation to prove their claim) and check your state's laws regarding statutes of limitation on old non-paid bills. Even if the claim is legitimate you may not be required to pay Afni.
The fact that this company is taking advantage of people's ignorance and intimidating them into sending them money for accounts that may never have existed is highly unethical and, in certain cases, illegal.
More Review Details
- Review category
- Collection Agencies
- Review rating
- 2 out of 5
You May Also Like
- "I rec'd a call from an extremely rude woman, Lisa Wallace, who refused to verify what she was trying to collect saying I would be charged $ if she sent..."
- "Not sure where to begin with these people. I received a call from a guy named Jim Parker, who said he was with the sheriff's office (918 area code, same..."
- "We rec'd a nasty letter saying my grandmother owed Bradford Exchange company $50. I have never in my life seen such a nasty letter. We are not sure if she..."
- "STAY AWAY FROM THIS DEALERSHIP!!! First, I received several calls from this dealership asking me to come in person and talk to the salesperson "Alex" so I finally decided to..."
- "My Lane recliner came with a Lifetime Limited Warranty on the "black metal parts of the reclining mechanism." The mechanism is "warranted to be free of defect in materials and..."
- "I completely agree with the misleading packaging. I recently purchased Mrs. Fields Chocolate Chunk Cookie Dough. I took pictures. The "chunks" shown on the package, weren't even "chunks" at all...."