Afni, Inc. Fraudulent/unethical collections on old Verizon accounts
Afni abtained information frm Verizon NY regarding unsettled accounts from '93-94. Although the statue of limitations has expired, Afni is seeking to collect on these old accounts. I never lived or recieved mail at the address they have associated with the account they are trying to get me to pay (which is what tipped me off that this might be a scam).
When I called Afni "Brenda", the customer service rep with who I spoke was indignant and rude. So was her supervisor "Rachel," who had the audacity to question ME and the legitimacy of my concern.
After doing some research on collection laws and statutes of limitation I learned that it is not illegal for Afni to send out letters to whomever they like, what is illegal is for them to sue you, demand collection, and report you to credit reporting agencies for non-payment.
In other words, before sending any money to this company, be sure the claim is legitimate (they should provide you with documentation to prove their claim) and check your state's laws regarding statutes of limitation on old non-paid bills. Even if the claim is legitimate you may not be required to pay Afni.
The fact that this company is taking advantage of people's ignorance and intimidating them into sending them money for accounts that may never have existed is highly unethical and, in certain cases, illegal.review #79030
You may also like
- "I rec'd a call from an extremely rude woman, Lisa Wallace, who refused to verify what she was trying to collect saying I would be charged $ if she sent..."
- "18775032115 Wed 2/18/09 8:53 PM 6 rings 18775032115 Wed 2/18/09 3:53 PM 6 ringsiQor called twice today. They call every day.They also call from is 1-866-294-1752.They are harassing my family for..."
- "I am an ER doc who works nights. Twice a day, like clockwork the phone rings stating they are from allied collection agency looking for joe shmo. I have no..."
- "After attempting to deal with customer service and getting no where I am posting my experience. The arrangent sent did not even equal $10 worth of flowers. The resolution provided..."
- "Purchased a table four chairs and a bench from this store on Monday May 25th. The furniture was delivered today Thursday the 28th of May. The pedestal legs are wobble..."
- "I will cancel my order because I am going to other place for some reason about me and my live-in partner were having trouble so I leave my live in..."